Most countries have some air power, but the United States is an air power. The U.S. Air Force (USAF) is the world’s most active flying force. Story of U.S. Air Force started with the first flight of an aircraft in 1903 by the Wright Brothers. The U.S. Army issue the brothers a development contract for a aircraft for the military. In 1909, the army acquired its first aircraft and the Wrights opened a military aviation school in Maryland, USA. The evolutionary process lead to the formation of U.S. Air Force (USAF) in 1947. Currently U.S. has most military aircraft - 6,000 with 310,000 active personnel. Followed by China’s People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) which has only 4,000 aircraft with 300,000 personnel. Russia’s Russian Air Force (Voyenno-vozdushnye sily Rossii) about 3,000 aircraft with 200,000 personnel and India’s Indian Air Force (IAF) about 1,800 aircraft with 170,000 personnel. UK’s Royal Air Force (RAF) which was form in 1918 (the first Air Force in the world) with 1,000 aircraft with 45,000 personnel.
- Pakistan’s Pakistan Air Force with 950 aircraft.
- Saudi Arabia’s Royal Saudi Air Force with 900 aircraft.
- Japan’s Japan Air Self-Defense Force with 800 aircraft.
- Turkey’s Turkish Air Force with 790 aircraft.
- France’s French Air Force with 780 aircraft.
- South Korea’s Republic of Korea Air Force with 760 aircraft.
- Israel’s Israeli Air Force with 750 aircraft.
- Canada’s Royal Canadian Air Force with 550 aircraft.
- Italy’s Aeronautica Militare Italiana with 510 aircraft.
- Indonesia’s Indonesian Air Force with 500 aircraft.
- Australia’s Royal Australian Air Force with 390 aircraft.
- UAE’s United Arab Emirates Air Force with 370 aircraft.
- Thailand’s Royal Thai Air Force with 340 aircraft.
- Malaysia’s Royal Malaysian Air Force with 300 aircraft.
- Singapore’s Republic of Singapore Air Force with 300 aircraft.
- Philippines’ Philippine Air Force with 290 aircraft.
- Switzerland’s Swiss Air Force with 230 aircraft.
- South Africa’s South African Air Force with 230 aircraft.
Updated On: 15.02.12